HK officials visit Thailand to assist residents allegedly lured, detained in Southeast Asia for illegal work: SAR govt

Regarding cases where Hong Kong residents are suspected of being lured to Southeast Asian countries and detained to engage in illegal work, the city's Security Bureau (SB) said it has established a dedicated task force to co-ordinate follow-up action by the relevant law enforcement agencies in August 2022 and in view of recent developments, SB officials will lead members of the dedicated task force from the Hong Kong Police Force and the Immigration Department to Thailand on Sunday to further follow-up on the request for assistance cases, according to the city's government.

Since the second quarter of 2024, there have been signs of a resurgence in the situation where Hong Kong residents are suspected of being lured to Southeast Asian countries and detained to engage in illegal work, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said in a statement on Sunday.

To date, law enforcement agencies received a total of 28 requests for assistance in relation to Hong Kong residents alleging to be detained in Southeast Asian countries and unable to leave. Among them, 16 have already returned to Hong Kong. The remaining 12 cases reported restrictions on their movement but were still safe and able to contact their families or the task force.

While in Thailand, members of the task force will meet with officials from the Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of Thailand, representatives of the Ministry of Justice of Thailand sitting on the Anti Trafficking-in-Persons Committee chaired by the Prime Minister of Thailand, as well as the authorities of Thailand to reflect the relevant assistance cases, exchange intelligence and request the relevant authorities to assist as much as they can in the rescue of those assistance seekers.

Wang Xing, a Chinese actor, entered Thailand on January 3, but lost contact near the Thailand-Myanmar border. The Thai police tracked his movements and successfully rescued him on January 7, identifying him as a victim of human trafficking, media reported.

Wang stated on his Weibo account on Saturday morning that he has returned to the embrace of his motherland, which makes him feel warm, secure, and free. While in a foreign country, it was the strength of his motherland that gave him courage and hope.

He also expressed deep gratitude toward the Chinese government, the Chinese embassies in Thailand and Myanmar, the Chinese and Thai police, and various other law enforcement agencies. Wang had previously gone missing at the Thailand-Myanmar border and returned to Shanghai by plane on Friday evening.

Chinese citizens coming to Thailand should be vigilant not to fall into the trap of "high-paying recruitment," reminded the Chinese Embassy in Thailand on Saturday.

Chinese citizens coming to Thailand should not easily believe in false promises such as "high-paying jobs" and "free air tickets and accommodation" to avoid being deceived, said the statement.

The Chinese embassy expressed its gratitude to the Thai government for prioritizing Wang's case, which was caused by cyber-fraud, and for promptly launching a rescue operation that ensured his safe return.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *